Monday, September 04, 2006

I GOT MY DJ EQUIPMENT!

I have been listening to records nonstop afeter I got my DJ equipment in the mail over the weekend. The experience of listening to music on vinyl as opposed to CD or Mp3 is, in my opinion, far superior. Some great things about vinyl are that you can manipulate the pitch, start easily from anywhere in a track, and best of all, SCRATCH!

I have been practicing slip-cueing a lot, since I haven't recieved my second deck and mixer yet. Slip cueing involves scratching over the first beat of a track so that it starts right on beat. The most difficult thing about slip cueing isn't getting it on the beat, but getting an instant start. It sound really shitty when a record is started so that the vocals seem to 'bend'--it sounds a bit likte the audio on a old video tape.

I got the most amazing pair of Technics headphones. They have ridiculously broad frequency range--5 Hz to an ear-bleeding 30,000 Hz. They make everything sound as if you're in a stadium hearing the music. I will definitely be using these in video editing and sound classes!

Only a few days left until school! I am so excited about the opportunities I will have there to improve as an artist and work my way to a great job! I can't wait for the freedom and not having to ride the stupid bus to class anymore!

1 comment:

Bonaia said...

I love your drawings man... keep it up. I like the cloud scene.